Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Seitan and Shirataki Chicken Philly Pasta




I recently visited a vegan cafe in town where I discovered seitan meat.  It is a textured wheat gluten that gives tofu a run for it's money.  Seitan has a texture that resembles meat and can also absorb a great deal of flavor.  I try to avoid eating carbs at night so I decided to make this with tofu shirataki noodles.  I've tried a few different kinds of these noodles and found that the spinach were my favorite.  The spinach noodles have a better taste in my opinion.  These noodles are only 25 calories and 5 carbs per serving.  This meal with prep and cook time took me 15 min's. 

Ingredients:

1 Bell Pepper

2 bags spinach shirataki noodles

1 small vidalia onion

1 box seitan meat (chicken style)

1 package button mushrooms

shredded cheese (gluten free, dairy free is also good)

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp soy sauce

1 tsp A-1 steak sauce

2 tbsp olive oil mayo or veganaise

Magic poultry chicken seasoning (it's gluten free)



I first open up my seitan which is packed just like tofu in water.  Drain and pat dry.  Cut up the meat and add the last  3 ingredients and coat meat.

In a large sauce pan, heat  a tsp of olive oil over med-high heat.  Add mushrooms, onions and green peppers and saute for for 2 mins.  Add in the seitan and continue to saute for another 2 min's.  Drain, wash and pat noodles dry.  Add pasta in along with the mayo and cook on med-high for another 4 min's.  I keep the temperature at med-high just like you would for stir fry.  Mushrooms can water food done and this helps absorb the liquids.  Plate and sprinkle your favorite cheese over the top.  Yum-O.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get the spinach shirataki noodles? I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a little late getting back to you :) You can get them at Hoovers in Altamonte Springs.

    ReplyDelete