Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fried Eggs with Butternut Squash and Onion Hash


 
 
As I said before, I prefer a hot meal for breakfast and eggs over anything.  Using pre-cut, bagged butternut squash, I cut my prep time in half.  Cutting into a hard butternut squash is no easy feat, so this is the better way to go in my opinion.  I’m making a dish tonight with chicken sausage so I snagged one from the fridge and threw it in the pan.  The brand I like to use is Al Fresco and it’s all natural and “buffalo”, which I love! 

Ingredients

1 small yellow onion

Pam or olive oil to coast the pan

1 buffalo chicken sausage-casing removed.

½ bag of fresh pre-cut butternut squash

1 teaspoon garlic paste

1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves

Salt and Pepper

Toast is optional
 

In a sauté pan over med, heat coated pan and add garlic.  I diced my squash a little more so the pieces were smaller.  Throw in your sausage, squash and onion with a little salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to lightly brown.  Make sure you break up the sausage as best you can into smaller pieces as you cook.  Cover the pan for 3 minutes so the squash is tender, then remove the lid and cook 3 minutes more or until the contents are crispy and caramelized.  Toss in your spinach and place the lid back on for 1 minute.  Once the spinach has wilted, mix in well with the squash and sausage.  Remove from pan and plate. 

                           
 

 
                         
 
Cook your eggs according to preference.  I love over easy eggs where the yolk is running and soaks in to a buttered piece of toast…yum!

 


  

2 comments:

  1. I love all your recipes! My husband and I are on a low carb diet and I find it a little difficult writing a food blog and making custom cakes while staying away from sugar. Your posts inspire me to post more low carb recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dina, I'll go check out your blog. I am just getting started with the whole food blogging thing. It really takes a lot of time and dedication but I hope to grow my blog eventually. Best of luck to you and your hubby with the diet :)

    ReplyDelete