Monday, July 22, 2013

Grilled Chicken Breasts, Topped with Red Pepper Jelly and White Cheddar Cheese




Hi folks!  It’s been quite some time since my last blog.  Have no fear; I haven’t stopped experimenting or taking photos of my food.  I just haven’t had the time to write it all down.  I made this dish back in May actually and it happens to be the last time I grilled anything. (need more propane-too lazy to refill)  The last few months have been a whirl wind.  Between turning 30, wedding events for friends, singing gigs and vacations, I have just dropped the ball regarding this blog.  I can’t wait to tell and show you all of the things I’ve made and places I’ve visited since my absence.  So…… here we go:


I recently discovered red pepper jelly as you may have noticed from past recipes.  It’s pretty much the bee’s knees :) it’s great on toast, crackers with cheese, omelets, wraps, sandwiches and now Grilled Chicken Breasts topped with Red Pepper Jelly and Cheddar Cheese

Ingredients:

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

2 tablespoons Red Pepper Jelly

2 Thick Slices of Reduced Fat White Cheddar Cheese

¼ cup Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce

¼ cup Olive Oil

¼ cup Lemon Juice



First I start by marinating my chicken for 1 hour with equal parts of each:  soy sauce, lemon juice and olive oil.  I only grilled 2 breasts so I used about a ¼ cup equal parts and would double the amount when doubling the chicken.  The acidity of the lemon juice helps to tenderize the meat before grilling. 

Ok, now we’re ready to throw it on the grill!

Pre-heat grill over high heat.  Spray each side with non-stick oil and grill for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.  The internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees F.  Turn off the grill but leave the chicken on the rack and quickly spread the jelly on each breast and top with cheese.   Close the lid and wait for the cheese to melt.  The chicken is continuing to cook so you don’t want to leave it on the grill for to long.  The chicken will be piping hot and by shutting the grill lid it allows the cheese to melt faster.

 Now we’re ready to eat :)  I served this dish with a Simple Zucchini salad that you can find on my blog from back in June.   Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment