Friday, July 26, 2013

Squash Hash with Poached Eggs


Morning Everyone!  I completed my first week of 5:45am boot camp and I’m feeling accomplished.  I’m also feeling sore but I know it will all be worth it in the end.  Because I’ve been getting up earlier, I’ve had more time to write on my blog and that too makes me feel good too!

 I’m not much of a power bar, cereal kind of girl when it comes to my breakfast.  I love my eggs and a hot meal in the morning.  If you pre-cut your veggies the night before, you can whip this up in less than 10 minutes. 

Start by boiling some water with a little vinegar in it.  If you’ve never poached an egg before, check out this easy instructional from Fabio Viviani.

  http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/easy-secrets-cooking-eggs-fabios-eggs-benedict-153800472.html 

He’s cooking up one of my favorite breakfast meals, Eggs Benedict.  I watched this video a year or so ago and it really helped me to master poaching an egg and making hollandaise sauce. 

I used zucchini squash and patty pan squash along with some diced yellow onions to make my hash.  Patty Pan squash is a summer squash that has a similar taste to acorn or spaghetti squash.  You can ask for it at your local farmers market from summer to early August.
 

In a non-stick coasted small pan, sauté your onions and squash with a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes while eggs are also cooking in a separate pot.  I served this dish with herb buttered toast and topped my eggs with some fresh Thyme.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment