Friday, April 5, 2013

Pearl Couscous with Chicken Sausage, Kale and Tomato Aioli






Lately, I haven’t had a lot of time to work on my blog.  Just last night I made split pea soup with cabbage and it turned out great.  I didn’t have the proper lighting or my camera though to capture it.  I’m working on getting better quality photos of my dishes and I haven’t been as motivated with what I’m currently using.  Any who, back to the blog……….

A few nights back I threw together a dish that I will definitely make over and over.   Pearl Couscous with Chicken Sausage, Kale and Tomato Aioli.  The combination of the roasted tomato aioli, smokiness of the chicken sausage and slightly bitterness of the kale, went perfectly over the soft pasta-liked couscous.

Ingredients: 

1 box Pearl Couscous

2 cups chopped kale

Half of a small sweet onion-chopped

I package pre-cooked chicken sausage-cut into ½ inch pieces

Drizzle of olive oil

Roasted Tomato Aioli:

2 plum tomatoes

1 teaspoon red chili paste

¾ cup tablespoons mayonnaise

2 garlic cloves

Drizzle of olive oil

Half of a small sweet onion-chopped

Dash of paprika

Splash of white wine vinegar

Dash of salt

For the Roasted Tomato Aioli:

Start by firing up the grill to medium heat.   Rinse tomatoes, cut in half and remove the seeds.  Place in tin foil with a little drizzle of olive oil and close tomatoes in foil.  Grill for about 10 to 12 minutes and let cool.  While your tomatoes are grilling, sauté onions and garlic with a little olive oil for about 4 minutes.  Transfer into food processor and add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients.  Puree until smooth.   

For the Couscous Mixture:

Follow cooking instructions from the couscous box.  As the couscous is cooking, sauté the chopped onion for 2 minutes with another drizzle of olive oil.   Add in the kale and chicken sausage and cook for about 4 more minutes.  When the couscous is done, add in the kale, sausage and onion mixture to it.  Plate your dish and drizzle the roasted tomato aioli over top.

 
 

 

 




 



 


Nutritional Bonus:

Kale has become quite popular these days and for good reason.  It is packed with nutrients and has even been linked to aide in the prevention of certain cancers.  It’s high in calcium, vitamin C and beta carotene.  I’ve used it for smoothies, side dishes, salads and I’m excited to make my own kale chips soon.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment